Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Malibu - Gen 3 Ch 1

My heart soared as I pedalled my way through the streets of L.A., my mind intent on the goal I'd been working toward for so long. I'd been trying to wheedle the secret from my dad ever since I could remember, and he had finally relented.


The old rusty gate creaked spookily as I pushed it slowly open and slid through into the overgrown park. Dead leaves crunched under my sneakers, and my heart was pounding, but this was too important to back down now.


My eyes darted here and there along the ground, until finally I spotted what I was looking for, barely visible under an overgrown bush. Silently thanking my dad, I reached down and scooped the rainbow gem up into my hand. Still clutching it tight, I turned and raced again for home.


"Just drink it, you'll see!" I exclaimed, excitement and anticipation oozing from every pore. I watched intently as my best friend in the world drained the potion. Would it work? It just had to. My dad said it had worked for him.



"Um, hi." I grinned at my suddenly real imaginary friend. Great, Malibu. All these years of anticipation, and the best I could do was 'um, hi'? At least it was more than Benji had to say. All he could do was stare at me in amazement. Our impromptu staring contest was finally interrupted by my dad yelling at me.
"Malibu! Come on out front! Let's get this party started!"
I had almost forgotten. Well, truthfully, I had forgotten. It was Periwinkle's birthday, and Peaches was here to help celebrate.
"Come on Benji! I want you to meet everyone!"
"Um... I'll be there in a while, I have... stuff to do first."
I shrugged as I watched him disappear into the back yard, while I headed out front.


My dad cornered me as soon as I arrived on the front patio.
"So, Mali, when do I get to meet Benji?"
"He said he'd be out here in a while, he wanted to check out the hot tub."
"I see. Well, I was hoping to see him at our little get together. In the mean time, why don't you spend some time with Peaches, it might be the last time you see her for a while."
I did a double take at that, but he had already wandered off to listen to my mom's guitar.


I've always loved my Auntie Peaches, she's been almost a second mom to me. So it wasn't hard to convince her to join me for a little water slide fun.


I've got to say, she's pretty agile for an old lady. Must come from all the training she's had to do for her sports career. Wouldn't that be something, to be a famous super star athlete. I wonder if I could do that?



We were right in the middle of a silly face contest when I heard my mom call out.
"Okay, you all, get out of those wet suits and get some clothes on, it's almost time for cake!"



Everyone else seemed much more excited than I was about Peri's birthday. I was still mulling over my dad's cryptic words. Why would I not be seeing Auntie Peaches any more after tonight?



Unable to figure anything out, eventually I gave up, and joined in the celebration.
"Happy Birthday, Peri!"


The next day, I took Benji to school with me for the first time. He was so excited he could hardly contain himself. I've got to say, that was quite the experience. He turned quite a few heads when I walked into homeroom with him at my side. After school we biked over to the stadium and signed up for the junior sports team together. I can't believe how much we have in common!



When I asked him to be my BFF, at first he didn't understand what that meant. But after I explained it, he wrapped me in a huge hug. I might have even held on to him for a little longer than was strictly necessary, for a simple friendly hug.


I even worked up the courage to tell him I thought he was cute. He blushed so hard at that, it made me giggle.



A few days later, my big sis Rain graduated from the Science Academy. Now she's all set for the nerdy life of a scientist. All she needs is a job. Unfortunately, jobs are few and far between right now, here in L.A....


Which leads me to the bombshell dad dropped on us all the next morning. Still sporting his p.j.s, he called us all out to the back patio.
"I have an important announcement, everyone. Elections are coming up again soon, as you all know, but I have decided not to run again. It's time to retire. L.A. is such a rat race, your mother and I have decided we would like to move out of the area. Tops on our list of places to retire in is a little resort town north of here called Hidden Springs. We know it'll be a big change for all of you, but there are a lot of benefits as well.
"For one thing," he glanced over at Rain, "The Science Lab there has an entry level position open. And Marina, I know how fascinated you are with celebrities. Believe me, Hidden Springs is the place to be for celebrity watching. And Malibu," he settled his eyes on my in turn. "The high school has a fantastic sports program, better even than the one here. So what do you say? Are you with me?"


And so that is how we found ourselves in dad's limo, cruising slowing down the main street of our new home. It certainly was a change from the hectic pace of the only home I had ever known.


In what seemed like no time at all, we pulled up in front of an old fashioned colonial whose yard backed up to the waterfront. Rain immediately claimed the small apartment over the garage, while Marina and I settled into one bedroom together, and Benji and Peri into another.


The first thing Benji and I did was to set up a hopscotch game in the back yard.


Then it was on to the hot tub, for a good long soak. There was even enough room in the back yard for a trampoline, something we all had been wanting forever. There just wasn't space for one, at our house in L.A.


Oops! I was going to ask my dad about the new school, but I think... I'll.. just... leave that for another time. Geez. Do other people's parents still do that at their age?


Mmm, cookies. Fascinating. Anything to erase from my mind what I just saw upstairs in my parents bedroom.


Benji and I started at our new school. The homework wasn't too bad, if only Peri would stop pillowfighting with Seashell while I was trying to get it done.
The only thing dad neglected to mention was that the athletic program was held at the military academy,which was fine with me. But my annoying little brother took no end of pleasure in teasing Benji and me about having to go to 'military school'.
I decided he was just jealous because his imaginary friend is still imaginary, and no one but me and dad believe him when he talks about his 'Seashell'.


After homework, it was always fun to play a game or two with dad. He was really enjoying his retirement. It was so great to see him let loose and enjoy himself for once, after all those years of constant politics.
"How's work treating you, sis?" I called over to Rain, who was content to just watch dad and me battle it out on the TV.
"Have you found anyone to woohoo in the hot tub with you yet?" I snickered. It was a standing joke between us. She had mentioned to me not long after we moved, that it would be fun to woohoo in the hot tub, so I never failed to tease her about it.
"Not yet, I'm working on it. I have a few prospects in mind."
"Yeah right." I giggled. As if my nerdy sister would ever find someone to do that with.


"So, Mali, how's Benji? Are you two still just friends, or is it turning into something more?"
My dad was grilling me again about Benji. I didn't really mind though, I knew all about his relationship with Auntie Peaches, and how she had been his imaginary friend once. He never felt anything else but friendship for her, though... except maybe that one time...
"I don't know yet, daddy. He's pretty special though, and he is amazingly cute."


I didn't tell my dad that almost every day after school, we stay late and flirt with each other in the yard outside the academy.



And sometimes he pulls me into his arms for a hug, and I feel like I could just stay like that forever. But he's never given any indication that he wants anything more, and there is no way I'll ruin the beautiful friendship we have by asking for more. We'll just have to see what the future will bring.


5 comments:

  1. Ooh wow that's exciting, a move to Hidden Springs! I don't have it so it will be really interesting to read a story set in it.

    I really like Malibu - I'm interested to see where her life takes her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Malibu won. I did vote for her and I like how you covered the move. And if she does end up with Benji maybe they'll have blue haired blue babies. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the move to Hidden springs. Even though I have HS I have tried to play it a few times and can't seem to get to grips with it!! Have you found the fountain yet???

    Benji is quite cute I hope they end up together!! I can't get used to seeing River as an old man :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, I searched forever for the fountain, then I went google searching to see if anyone else had found it. What I found was, that the spring is only in buy mode, it's not in the actual world. You have to add it in if you want it there. I put it by the lake that's on the side of the tall mountain, and filled in behind it with build mode rocks to make it look part of the cliff behind the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awh i feel like Malibu is going to be a good choice for the story:) Her and Benji are cute, it's going to be interesting to see where they go also. Keep up the awesome work!!

    ReplyDelete