Friday, July 29, 2011

River - Gen 2 Ch 3

Do my eyes deceive me? Or are you actually doing your homework? You always wait to do it until you're on your way to school in the morning.

Yeah, yeah. I just remembered I graduate in a few days, and I need to get my grades up. Things are gonna be different from now on with me, you'll see.

Oh really? Different how?



Well, for one thing, I want to make friends with dad. You know we've never really gotten along, but I really want to change that.

MmHm... and that's why you look so bored you're about to fall asleep right now.

I didn't say it was gonna be easy. All right, it's gonna be nigh unto impossible, okay? I forgot how much I don't like to hear about the finer points of cat burgling.


It's much more fun to pillow fight with Peaches. I could pillow fight all day.

You do pillow fight all day. Which is why you end up doing your homework on the way to school every day.


Pillow fighting is fun! Even Ocean agrees with me on that point.

Too bad he hasn't found a rainbow gem yet for Fluffy. Or has he?

What? Do you know something? Tell me! Come on, it's my birthday.

I think I'll just let it be a little birthday surprise.



That's quite the party your mom threw for yours and Peaches birthday.

Yeah, she's the best. Let's go blow out the candles!


Just a sec. I wanna watch this first. You should watch it too.

Huh?

Ocean is turning Fluffy real.

What! Right now? At my party? Grr... always trying to steal my thunder.


I don't care. I'm gonna have my birthday anyway. He can just stay in the living room with Fluffy if he wants. At least my friends would rather watch me.

Oops! I missed watching you blow out your candles...



... too busy watching Ocean and Fluffy.

Fine. Be that way.


If it makes you feel better, I'll watch Peaches. Why are you all the way over there? And why the long face?

I don't like the way Ocean is looking at my Peaches.

Oh, come on. He has his Fluffy now. I'm sure he's not going to steal Peaches away from you.


I wouldn't be so sure. She's incredibly cute.

This is true. So maybe now that you've grown up, you should ask her on a date. Or at least flirt with her a little?

I don't think so. I still need more time.



Uh oh... she gave me a birthday present. What am I gonna do? I forgot to get her something!

Don't panic. Surely you must have something she'd like.

Okay... let me see...


I gave her that luminorous gem I found when I was out looking for rainbows. She likes it!

Of course she does. She likes you, you know.



Now what? Off to City Hall to register for a life in politics? Deja vu.

What?

Oh,  it just reminds me of doing this same thing with your mom not that long ago.

My mom? She's always worked at the theater.

Not always. I hope you have better luck in politics that she did.

What's that supposed to mean?

Nothing. Never mind. Forget I said anything. I don't want to jinx your life or anything.



Oh no! River! You need to get home from City Hall immediately! It's.... it's your mom.

Noooooo! What happened?

She.. she went quietly in her sleep.



I can't believe she's gone... just like that...



She seemed happy to go, if that's any consolation. She lived a full life, made a lot of people happy with her music, and raised three wonderful children.



I don't know about three. There's Ocean after all. Why does he look so fiendishly delighted?

I probably shouldn't tell you.

Tell me anyway.

Well, you know a few weeks ago, when your mom grounded him for the umpteenth time? Since then he's had this wish to.. well... see your mom's ghost.

You shouldn't have told me.

I told you so.

Just shut up.


Working out at the beach? You have a room full of exercise equipment at home.

You know why. I try to spend as little time at home as possible lately. And working out helps me forget how much I miss mom.


And before you say anything. No, it's not a date. We both just felt like getting out of the house for a while, so we thought we'd go out for a drink. You just don't know what it's like at home right now.

I know you still miss your mom, but it can't be that bad, can it?



Of course it's that bad. I've tried and tried, and still can't make friends with dad. He keeps saying stupid, annoying, inappropriate stuff that drives me nuts. Cloudy dotes on dad, and aspires to be just like him. And Ocean's even worse.  Without mom, there's nothing for me here. That's why I've come to a decision.


Peaches and I have talked it over, and we both agree. We want to move to a high rise. Just the two of us.

Just like that? Driving off into the sunset?

Just like that. You better start looking for a nice place we can afford.


How about this? It has a nice balcony, and a pool. And it's even on the beach.



It's not bad. It's a little small.

Not bad? It's perfect! And it even has furniture!

Uh... why wouldn't it have furniture?

When you mom first arrived here, I found her a condo near the beach. It wasn't nearly as nice as this one, though. And there wasn't enough money left over for furniture. You just don't know how good you have it.



If you say so. It is a nice place. And it's nice to be able to cry without your whole family mocking you about it.

Were they really that bad?

I'm surprised you have to ask.



"Don't worry Peaches, everything's gonna be great from now on - you'll see."



2 comments:

  1. I hope he ends up getting together with Peaches. Maybe it will be easier with just the two of them living together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its great they moved away, the apartment looks wicked!! I hope they get together too :)

    ReplyDelete